Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Snow and cross training

Well Denver got its first snow storm the past few days. Sunday started out cool, then turned to rain, then by evening snow. It snowed well into Monday with 6-10 inches depending on location. I managed to sneak in a ride on Sunday morning while the weather was still good. Didn't even get rained on, but I guess that's what happens when you leave the house when it is still dark. I was home after a two hour spin by 8:30 and went to breakfast with Ade, Seamus and my mother-in-law who was in town for the weekend. After that shopping and home to work for a few hours.

Monday was weight lifting, which as a cyclist is a humbling venture on any given day. The building I work in has a weight room that employees can use for free. This is great as I can sneak in weights during lunch, but clearly there are drawbacks. The main drawback being there are always a few people from the office who can see me struggle to bench 95 pounds. I can say that the three weeks of lifting I've done are paying dividends, I can actually almost see muscles in my arms, but alas I'll never be stronger than most people in the gym.

Tuesday was a long (for me) run, 40 minutes in cold weather. It wouldn't have been so bad except I forgot tights and a long sleeve shirt so it was running in summer gear with snow melting on the ground. The running kills me since I do it so little, but it is nice to mentally be off the bike for a short period and still feel like I'm getting a workout.

No comments: